Bringing you essential news on restaurants, shopping, arts and other cultural happenings in Seattle. Subscribe to our newsletters, The Must List or Restaurant Insider, for weekly updates.
Thanksgiving recipes:Spring Hill's oyster stuffing
Pacific oyster and apple stuffing
by chef Mark Fuller
1 lb day old bread, crust removed, cubed and dried in the oven at 250F
6 oz fresh chorizo, cooked weight. Seek out a really good sausage maker or make it yourself.
1 doz kumomoto oysters, shuck and reserve liquor
2oz unsalted butter
4oz green apple, diced
4oz yellow onion, diced
2oz celery, diced
1oz flat leaf parsley, chopped
½ oz thyme, chopped
24oz turkey or chicken stock including the reserve oyster liquor
1ea egg, whipped
7g kosher salt
2g black pepper, ground
1) Prepare the day old bread
2) Sautee the sausage in some lightly flavored oil, breaking it apart as it cooks.
3) Place the shucked oysters in a small sauce pot with the reserved liquor and cook gently. Strain the liquor and reserve. Chop the oysters fine.
4) Melt the butter in a separate pan over med-high heat. Sweat the onions, celery and apple.
5) In a large bowl combine the dried bread, chorizo, chopped oysters, sautéed aromatic vegetables and the remaining ingredients.
6) Mix together until the bread has absorbed the liquid and place into a buttered baking dish. Cover with tin foil.
7) Bake in a convection oven at 350F for 25 minutes. Remove the cover and bake for another 10 minutes to crisp the top.