Bringing you essential news on restaurants, shopping, arts and other cultural happenings in Seattle. Subscribe to our newsletters, The Must List or Restaurant Insider, for weekly updates.
Recipe: Lorna Yee's Crispy Sweetbreads with Tarragon and Lemon
2 whole veal sweetbreads, weighing about ½ pound each
1 tablespoon salt
Juice of 1 lemon
Water (for soaking)
1 cup flour
1 cup panko bread crumbs
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon ground black pepper
6 tablespoon vegetable oil or peanut oil for frying
For the herbed mayonnaise sauce:
1 shallot, finely chopped
1 clove garlic, finely chopped
Juice of half a lemon (or to taste)
2 tablespoons capers
¼ cup Dijon mustard
¼ cup mayonnaise
1 teaspoon finely chopped tarragon
1 teaspoon finely chopped chives
Salt and pepper to taste
1. Rinse the sweetbreads. Place the sweetbreads in a large bowl, and cover with water, 1 tablespoon salt and the juice of a lemon. Allow the sweetbreads to soak for 2 hours, then rinse the sweetbreads clean.
2. Meanwhile, combine all the ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl. Check for seasoning, then cover and refrigerate to allow the flavors to meld.
3. After the sweetbreads have soaked, peel the membrane away with a sharp paring knife. Separate the sweetbreads into 1- to 2-inch nuggets and remove any visible fat.
4. On a large plate, combine the flour, panko, salt and pepper. Dredge the sweetbread nuggets until they are well covered.
5. In a large skillet, heat the oil on medium-high heat. Add the sweetbreads and cook until the crust is just lightly browned. (Do not overcook the sweetbreads.) This should only take a minute or two per side.
6. Remove the sweetbreads from the oil and set them on a plate. Serve with the herbed mayonnaise sauce.