Four Drinks to Have After Black Friday Shopping
The most famous shopping day of the year, Black Friday (though Cyber Monday is gaining in popularity), is also one of nuttiest days of the year. And I can think of few activities that demand a drink when you're done like wading through a sea of shoppers for hours to find that one perfect deal. To help offset the shopping-till-you're-dropping stress, here are four drinks perfect for post-Black Friday. Be sure you have the ingredients, so you can come home from the stores, make a drink and put your feet up. All the below recipes are from my book Ginger Bliss and the Violet Fizz (which, shameless plug, makes a fine holiday gift).
This drink, from King Cocktail himself, Dale DeGroff, is obviously a good choice, both because of the name and the lovely taste. You’ll have to flame an orange peel, but after surviving the crowds that’ll be a breeze.
1 ounce Añejo tequila
1 ounce Rhum Clément Creole Shrubb
1 ounce freshly squeezed blood orange juice
Chilled rosé Champagne
Wide orange twist, for garnish
Long thin orange peel, for garnish
1. Fill a cocktail shaker or mixing glass halfway full with cracked ice. Add the tequila, Creole Shrubb, and blood orange juice. Stir well.
2. Strain into a flute glass, and then fill the flute almost to the top with Champagne.
3. Flame the wide orange twist over the drink (see A Note) and discard. Drape the long thin twist over the glass in a spiral fashion.
A Note: For a flaming twist, be sure you have an oval-shaped twist about 1-1/2 inches long. First, light a match, holding it in one hand about 4 inches above the drink. With the other hand, hold the twist, peel side facing the drink, above the match. Twist the twist quickly, so that the oils shoot out, flaming as they pass through the flame into the drink
Named after one of the most famous shopping streets ever, having this tasty mix after you’ve shopped all day lets you pretend, for a moment, that you’re taking it out of the street, instead of the other way around.
1-1/2 ounces gin (try Bluewater Halcyon gin here)
3/4 ounce dry vermouth
3/4 ounce Fernet-Branca
1. Fill a cocktail shaker or mixing glass halfway full with cracked ice. Add the gin, dry vermouth, and Fernet-Branca. Stir well.
2. Strain into a cocktail glass or highfalutin cordial glass.
Once Is Enough
I’m not saying you won’t do the whole Black Friday ordeal again next year, but if after it’s over, you’re feeling like you’ll never brave it again, then this is the drink for you. It also contains an egg white, which help bring your strength back (as well as adding lovely mouth-feel).
1. Fill a cocktail shaker halfway full with ice cubes. Add the brandy, orange curaçao, anisette, and egg white. Shake exceptionally well.
2. Strain into a cocktail glass.
3. If once isn’t, actually, enough, repeat steps 1 and 2.
This classic drink may seem like an odd choice--what’s it have to do with shopping? Well, nothing, really. But, in my mind it’s one of the very best drinks to have when taking a bath. And I figure after the elbowing, standing, running, and carrying, you may well need a bath.
2 ounces vodka (2bar vodka is good here)
5 ounces freshly squeezed orange juice
1/2 ounce Galliano
1. Fill a highball glass three-quarters full with ice cubes. Add the vodka and the orange juice, and stir briefly.
2. Float the Galliano on top of the vodka juice mixture.