Dude, looking for some inspiration for your next mancation? Seattle mag contributor, Nick Horton, helps you get a head start on your next manly getaway; check out these six vacations straight from the movies:
1. City Slickers (1991) – Can you get any more manly than Jack Palance? Can you get any less manly than Billy Crystal?
2. A River Runs Through It (1992) – Fishing. Montana. Prolific whiskey drinking. Brotherly feuds. A classic of the genre.
3. Sideways (2004) – Throw together two old friends, a week in the wine country near Santa Barbara and some long-simmering antagonism, and you’ve got a recipe for an epic mancation. Just don’t drink any Merlot.
4. Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid (1969) – Newman and Redford defined the gruff yet loving relationship that occurs between the closest of male friends. Most of us don’t rob trains together, but we wish we could.
5. Brokeback Mountain (2005) – Granted, this was a different sort of mancation. But a mancation nonetheless.
6. Deliverance (1972) – All-time worst-case scenario. River trips will never be the same.