Fifty years ago, Seattle threw a party for the world. The World’s Fair—called The Century 21 Exposition—was a celebration of Space Age innovation at a time of hope and futuristic yearnings. Our city, once regarded by many as a muddy Wild West outpost, was thrust into the world’s spotlight, suddenly becoming sophisticated and cutting edge. In 1962, everything about Seattle—our civic spaces, culture and very identity—was redefined. As Seattle magazine approaches its own 50th birthday, we take a look at the event—and the people—that forever changed Seattle.
- Back to the Future: An Essay by Knute Berger
- History of the Seattle Center: A Timeline
- Cool Souvenirs from the World's Fair
- Vintage World's Fair Cocktails to Make at Home
- Weird Stats: Seattle Center by the Numbers
- Space Needle Trivia!
- Locals’ Seattle Center Memories
- More Resources on the World's Fair
- Commemorative Space Needle Toppers
Follow our continued World's Fair coverage throughout the year in Seattle magazine and here at seattlemag.com.