Bringing you essential news on restaurants, shopping, arts and other cultural happenings in Seattle. Subscribe to our newsletters, The Must List or Restaurant Insider, for weekly updates.
Reasons to Miss Ichiro
News broke yesterday that beloved Mariners player Ichiro Suzuki has been traded to the New York Yankees. The announcement spurred a mix of bitterness and speculation in our offices yesterday—and, of course, nostalgia. From food writer Leslie Kelly: "As a longtime, diehard M's fan, my heart breaks at this revolting development. I know it's a major league baseball is a business, but, darn it, would the Yankees ever even consider trading Jeter? No! It's going to be a bitter pill to swallow when I go to the game and see Ichiro Suzuki wearing the dreaded Yankees uniform. I will drink a toast and wish him well, but boy, oh boy, will I miss I-CHI-RO!" Here's what else we'll miss when Ichiro is gone:
1. His magical ability to turn what should be a regular groundout into a base hit.
2. The bus loads of Japanese fans taking photos of well, everything related to him at the stadium, even outside of baseball season. (Update: According to Seattle Times, this is no joke.)
3. The "Ichiroll" sushi roll! (If they decide to stop serving it.)
4. That bow-and-arrow pre-batting ritual...thing.
5. All of the stretching. Alllll of it.
6. The way he dove for balls in the outfield.*
*May contain notes of sarcasm.
This article has been updated since its original publication.