Spring fashion transports us back to a time when aerospace was the next frontier, when travel was luxurious and flying was the first-class way of getting where you wanted to be.
The Museum of Flight cleared us for landing to celebrate Seattle’s history of aviation innovation. Let’s fly away.
1. The T. Evans Wyckoff Memorial Bridge connects the main and west campuses of the museum. The crossing, circular design of its steel pipes was inspired by the vapor trails left in the sky by aircraft engine contrails
Dries Van Noten “Stan” wing-embroidered faille coat, $2,195, and skirt, $1,100, Barneys New York (downtown, Pacific Place, 600 Pine St.; 206.622.6300; barneys.com). Alice + Olivia T-shirt, $198, Neiman Marcus. Triple ribbon bangle set, $118, Diane von Furstenberg. Bonheur “Ani” ring, $115, brand available at Calypso St. Barth. Vivo shagreen solid clutch, $535, available at Alice (Madison Park, 2811 E Madison St.; 206.322.7467; aliceseattle.com). “Savenni” stiletto heels, $210, Ted Baker (Bellevue Square, 141 Bellevue Square; tedbaker.com).
2. Our model looks all business (class) seated aboard the fuselage of an early Boeing 737, which looks out to the museum’s Great Gallery
“Kendra” embellished jumpsuit, $998, Diane von Furstenberg. Eddie Borgo pearl-end hinged choker necklace, $275, and ring, $250, Neiman Marcus. Judith Jack “Three Row” bangle bracelet, $198, and Halogen interlock waist belt, $32, Nordstrom
(downtown, 500 Pine St.; 206.628.2111; shop.nordstrom.com).
3. It’s clear skies ahead for Boeing’s premier commercial jetliner 747. This 1969 model is on display in the museum’s aviation pavillion this month. Boeing will celebrate its centennial this summer, marking 100 years since the maiden flight of its first aircraft from a Lake Union hangar in 1916.
Louiza Babouryan silk “Twist” top, $618, and Only Hearts “Delicious” tank, $78, Baby & Company (Belltown, 1936 First Ave.; 206.448.4077; babyandco.us). “Gemia” high-waisted pencil skirt, $259, Ted Baker. Gucci printed silk scarf, $440, Nordstrom. Kate Spade “Ursula” sunglasses, $170, Nordstrom. Bonheur “Lily Rose” lariat necklace, $228, brand available at Calypso St. Barth. gold bracelet, $68, Diane von Furstenberg. Valentino “Rockstud 1975” camera bag, $1,675, and leather lace-up espadrille sandals, $695, Neiman Marcus.
4. Ground control to major mural of the German World War II V-2 Rocket in the Bill and Moya Lear Gallery
Bonded lace “Georgette” dress, $5,700, Gucci (downtown, 1302 Fifth Ave.; 206.682.1730; gucci.com). Eddie Borgo earrings, $225, Prada rivet-studded caged flat sandals, $790, and perforated chain hobo bag, $2,190, available at Neiman Marcus.
5. Blasting off into the future of fashion in NASA’s Back Up module to the International Space Station’s Destiny Laboratory, the primary research lab launched on shuttle mission STS-98 in 2001
3.1 Phillip Lim fringe trim boxy cropped tee, $425, Nordstrom. Balenciaga pants, $1,545, and Prada crisscross suede platform sandals, $695, available at Neiman Marcus. “Lips Drop” earrings, $58, Diane von Furstenberg. Ash + Ames pointy gold ring, $195, and gold bangle, $225, available at the Dina Wampold Styling showroom (Madison Park, 3130 E Madison, Suite 201; 206.669.7269; ashandames.com).
Hair and makeup: Melissa Korn (Koh Gen Do Cosmetics)
Hair and makeup assistant: Finan Mehari
Stylist assistants: Kameryn Evans, Melanie Trygg
Photography assistant: Ben Sandall
Model/agency: Haley M., TCM Models & Talent