This Zesty Protein Bowl is the Perfect Pre-Workout Meal
By Seattle Mag
May 5, 2017
Recipe of the Week: Washington Athletic Club's Southwest Protein Bowl
Recipes for Seattlemag.com’s Recipe of the Week are contributed by participating chefs, cookbook authors and food bloggers.
Name of Recipe: Southwest Protein Bowl
Source of Recipe: Washington Athletic Club
Why We Love This Recipe: The Southwest Protein Bowl is a perfect healthy meal that delivers lean protein to fuel muscle development and just enough carbs to keep you going. The portion size was carefully developed to fill you up without slowing you down. The Southwest Protein Bowl is perfect for breakfast or lunch and when added with a solid workout, you have a great foundation for any day of the week! (Eric Chen, BS Clinical Nutrition, DTR)
Southwest Protein Bowl Ingredients
• Two 6 oz. chicken breasts, seasoned with salt and pepper and grilled
• 2 C. dry quinoa, rinsed
• 3 C. vegetable broth
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• One 15 oz. can of black beans, lightly drained
• 1 bell pepper, finely chopped
• 1 jalapeño, ribs and seeds removed, finely chopped
• 1 lime, zest and juice
• 1 tsp. toasted cumin
• 1 tsp. black pepper
• 1 tomato, diced
• 1 avocado, peeled, pitted and sliced
• 2 eggs
• cilantro, for garnish
• green onion, for garnish Instructions
• Place quinoa, vegetable broth and garlic in a large saucepan. Bring to a boil, then cover and reduce to a simmer. Simmer 12–15 minutes until liquid is incorporated.
• In a bowl, add the quinoa, beans, bell pepper, jalapeño, lime zest and juice, cumin and pepper. Stir in tomatoes. Serve topped with sliced chicken, avocado, eggs any style, cilantro, and green onion.
—Recipe serves two.