This Hot New Food and Health Trend is Raising Eyebrows
Charcoal is trending: in food, drinks, cosmetics and more.
By Megan Lamb January 26, 2018
From soap to waffles, activated charcoal—a detox remedy made from natural filtering agents such as bone char, coconut shells and peat—is popping up in all sorts of products these days. In theory, the substance* absorbs harmful toxins, a selling point in our increasingly polluted world. Here’s where to find the trendy super powder in Seattle.
1. Frankie and Jo’s plant-based salted caramel ash ice cream is the perfect combination of salty and sweet, and healthy enough to skip the guilt. Pike/Pine, 1010 E Union St.; 206.257.1676; frankieandjos.com
2. When Eric Johnson discovered charcoal foods in Hong Kong, he decided to introduce them at his Seattle restaurant. Now, Stateside’s charcoal waffle topped with mango jam is one of its most popular brunch dishes. Capitol Hill, 300 E Pike St.; 206.557.7273; statesideseattle.com
3. Spokane-based beauty line Kani Botanicals offers a charcoal face mask in the form of a powder. Mix it with water to activate and apply to your face, drawing out dirt and impurities. kanibotanicals.com
4. Julep’s charcoal Konjac sponge is a cleansing face sponge infused with activated charcoal that clarifies pores as the sponge gently exfoliates dead skin cells. Multiple locations including downtown, 1427 Fifth Ave., 206.985.0088; 206.985.6644; julep.com
5. The cold-pressed charcoal ginger juice at Juicebox contains the juice of 2.5 pounds of organic produce as well as activated charcoal—all ingredients to promote detoxification plus an immune boost. Capitol Hill, 1517 12th Ave.; 206.607.7866; juiceboxseattle.com
6. Seattle-based Herbivore’s all-natural bamboo charcoal cleansing bar soap uses activated charcoal with tea tree oil and bergamot essential oil to give skin an effective but gentle deep clean—perfect for sensitive, blemish-prone skin types. herbivorebotanicals.com
* Some studies have shown that consuming activated charcoal may reduce the effectiveness of
prescription medication, including birth control. Talk with your doctor or pharmacist before consuming.
Join The Must List
Sign up and get Seattle's best events delivered to your inbox every week.